Every day people in Bristol struggle to put food on the table for reasons ranging from redundancy or benefit sanctions, to receiving an unexpected bill on a low income. Increasingly, parents skip meals to feed their children and people are forced to choose between paying the rent and eating. The North Bristol Foodbank, as part of the UK-wide Trussell Trust Foodbank network, provides a minimum of three days emergency food and support to people experiencing crisis. In Bristol, there are three Trussell Trust foodbanks and a number of independent foodbanks (networked together under the 5k Partnership - www.5kpartnership.org.uk).
‘Clients come in so broken. In fact some people come in shaking because they’re so ashamed and embarrassed… And they seem to know they can share with us. And by the end of it there’s definitely hope in their eyes. There’s definitely a change in them.’
‘People are embarrassed when they come often, and we make, we really try and make them feel accepted and at ease.’
‘I've had to reign in my attitude and preconceived thoughts about people - to think about why someone is there, what somebody's story is.’
Update from this term
• Over Harvest and Christmas, over 15 tonnes have been generously donated from the public through supermarket collections, schools, churches, general public donations and many businesses.
• 75 Christmas hampers made up for partner organisations to distribute to their most vulnerable people that they are working with. We also gave Christmas food bags to all our clients during December.
• New partnership formed with UWE during this term and the financial collection from the UWE Carol Service at Bristol Cathedral was donated to the foodbank.
• Jon Dobson started working part-time as foodbank Assistant Manager at the beginning of October. Huge blessing to the foodbank team.
• At the end of November, the foodbank acquired a white van for use in transporting food regularly during the week and on supermarket collections. Already well used!
We are looking for medium term and long term term storage/warehouse facilities that are dry, clean and secure. If you have any ideas then please speak to Stewart North or contact the foodbank office.
www.northbristol.foodbank.org.uk | www.facebook.com/northbristolfoodbank | www.twitter.com/northbristolfb